Friday, January 17, 2014

Jessica's Way: May 11, 2013

Jessica:  May 11, 2013

Boyfriends suck! Last night, at six pm, mine decided that he was going out with the guys. Jeff doesn't meet up with friends that often and I wasn't mad that he was going out with them. He needs guy-time. But why couldn’t he make plans with them a week ago or even the day before? His lack of planning didn't leave me with many options for a Friday night. It's not Jeff's fault—I know planning ahead just isn't in the Y chromosome.

Sometimes I’m sure that I’m in love with him, though. And other times, like last night, I just want to shoot him. Is that love? (According to P!nk it is.)

How am I supposed to know what love is with the role models God gave me? Mom is so neurotic that I’m surprised she can even hold a job, let alone have a relationship. And my dad? His second marriage just ended because he was cheating on his wife with a woman who is the same age as my sister. Really? I can’t even look at him.

At least I know I can trust Jeff to never cheat on me. He’s the opposite of my father. His sister, Sarah, and I have been best friends since middle school and it seems like I've known Jeff most of my cognitive life. He and I are connected. We always have been. And he’s the most honest person I've ever met. Sometimes his morality is really annoying, but at least I can trust him.

Since I was left with no plans last night, I tagged along with Megan to a house party and while she searched and searched, without success, for the mythical guy that had invited her, I chatted it up with a hundred people that I had never met before. Staring across the backyard at the alcohol-induced mating dances before me, I realized that I didn't want to be there. Nothing the strangers said interested me. Every conversation I had with a girl, I had had before, and every guy I talked to couldn't take his eyes off my chest. What a waste of time. I only stayed because of Megan. It’s girl code—don’t let a girl go to a party alone and don’t ever abandon her there. I’m a firm believer in that particular commandment.

No comments:

Post a Comment