Friday, September 23, 2016

Megan: Romancing the Cook (Part 4)

Megan's Post


This is crazy. Kellen’s best friend is my ex’s little brother. Suddenly I feel really old.

“I need to find the facilities. Keep Reeves away from her, would ya, Tegan? He’s not trustworthy.” Kellen hands me my water and his beer as his head cocks toward the guy I had been talking to a few minutes ago. “I’ll be right back.” Then he gently squeezes my shoulder before heading toward the house.

I’m not going to ask Tegan about his brother. I’m not going to ask. I smile and crack open my bottle of water.

“You’re dating Kellen?”

“It’s our first date. He made me lunch a couple of times, but those don’t really count. Why did you lie to him?” I lean into him as I speak so Reeves can’t hear our conversation.

“You don’t want him to know you dated my brother. He’s heard all about Chase. He’s a good guy. He doesn’t need that kind of baggage. You’re better off, trust me.”

I don’t know if I should be offended or grateful. I take another sip of water. Tegan raises his bottle of water clacking it against mine.

“To my big brother, keeping those who know him sober.”

He must assume not only I don’t drink, but it’s because of Chase. I feel bad he’s been so affected by his brother’s mistakes. I don’t know what to say though. Would it be better to admit I drink or just leave it at this?

“To Chase,” I say, holding my water up before taking another sip. I want to ask about his brother. I ran into Tegan not that long ago and he told me Chase had gotten treatment for his drug problem. I want to know more, but I’m here with Kellen. Besides, I don’t want Tegan telling Chase I was asking about him. Last time I saw Tegan he was carrying a toddler who was obviously his.

“Tell me about your son,” I say because maybe it will distract me from Chase.

“Another time. Kellen would never believe we just met if he came back and I was talking about my kid. He knows me too well. Let’s keep up the charade. What have you been up to?”

“School. Work. Not much else. What about you?”

“I’m an artist,” he laughs and lifts up his shirt.

“Wow. You’re ripped, little bro.”

He smiles and says, “No. My art.”

He lifts his shirt higher and points to the colorful dragon which wraps around his side. Intricately drawn scales give the colored skin a 3D effect.

“You didn’t tattoo that.” There is no way he could have inked himself.

“No, but I designed it.”

“Stop showing her your abs. You’re making me look bad,” says Kellen, grabbing his beer from my hand and lifting his shirt as well. “I’m close, right?” And he is.

“In what universe?” asks Tegan. “Maybe if you stopped eating all that gourmet food you make.”

“Well, when you’re sixty your once fierce dragon is going to be all stretched out and sagging. Not even his claws will be able to hold him tight on your ribs. No girl’s going to want to touch it then.”

“And when you’re sixty they’ll have to roll you through the door.” Tegan’s arms circle his belly like a big beach ball as he sways back and forth, puffing out his cheeks.

“Shut it. I’m not going to be a beach ball. What I make is healthy, and you’re making me look bad. How am I supposed to get her into bed when you’re putting those graphics in her head?

“Not my problem.”

Tegan meets my eyes and I wonder what he thinks of his best friend in bed with me. Then Kellen pulls me into a standing position and slides into my chair before pulling me onto his lap. His arms wrap around me. I swear this guy runs ten degrees warmer than most guys or I could be too close to the fire now.

I am quiet again. Now Tegan is here I’m self-conscious about every touch of Kellen’s hands. It shouldn’t make a difference, but it does.

“So Megan doesn’t drink either,” Kellen says to Tegan before taking another gulp of his beer. “But, she hasn’t shared her story yet.” 

“Share your story, Megan,” Tegan says with mischief in his eyes.

“I don’t have a story. Designated driver, remember?”

“Well…I’ll share my story.” Tegan turns as if making an announcement to the entire group. “My dick of a big brother decided he was the only person in the world who mattered. He figured he could do whatever he wanted and everyone around him would have to adjust their lives to accommodate him. He got high every day until it wasn’t enough to satisfy him. Then he moved on to pills. He destroyed the lives of all who loved him without a second thought. He had this great girlfriend who was the sweetest girl in the world, He totally didn’t deserve her. I thought of her as my sister, a part of the family. Her only fault was she was blind to what an ass he really was. He cheated on her left and right. I tried to tell her once, but she wouldn’t listen. He could do no wrong in her eyes. She eventually tried to get him help for his addiction, but he thought he was so smart he didn’t need help. He always thought he was smarter than everyone else. When she finally woke up and left him, he lost it. He took too many pills, trying to end it and ended up in the hospital. Of course, he survived, you know, like the drunk always survives the car accident he causes while everyone else involved becomes a statistic.”

I stifle a gasp because I didn’t realize Chase tried to end his life. Why would he do that? I had given him an ultimatum and he chose the drugs over me. He had no right to change his mind. I look around the bonfire and realize no one else heard Tegan’s monologue. I guess the tale was for my ears only.
“I’m sorry your brother hurt you,” I say. “He sounds messed up.”

“You think. They found him unconscious, covered in vomit and forced him into treatment. Since he’s sober, he acts as if he never had a problem and lectures me about my drinking. But he doesn’t realize, I don’t drink—I never have—because of him. I refuse to be like him.”

“What is with you tonight? Megan doesn’t want to know about your loser brother. You are acting so weird.” Kellen turns from him to me and adds, “He’s usually a really fun guy. Just ignore him.” Kellen leans in and kisses the corner of my mouth.

The picture of Chase covered in vomit clouds my head. I pushed him to that by leaving him. If I stayed would he have gotten help before ending up like that? What am I supposed to think? Kellen’s hand slides to the back of my neck, pulling me in as his lips cover mine. I am not in the mood to make out. I pull back, meeting Tegan’s eyes.

“I didn’t mean to upset you,” says Tegan.

“I’m fine.” I grab Kellen’s beer and down a swig. I wish I wasn’t driving. I could use a drink.

“So you do drink,” says Tegan.

“Yep. No dark past. I drink. I just don’t want to tonight.” I smile at Kellen. He slowly sucks his lip ring into his mouth. My announcement intrigues him, I can tell. I glance at Tegan and he lifts his eyebrows as if he thinks I’m putting on a show. I’m not. OK, maybe I am, but I can’t let Tegan know Chase’s story bothers me. I don’t know what I would do if I ran into Chase again and I don’t want his brother mentioning I’m still hung up on him. I smile and lick my lips before pressing them against Kellen’s. My tongue fiddles with his lip ring and he deepens the kiss.

Tegan clears his throat and Kellen pulls back. I made my point. Chase Maxwell no longer controls me. © Susan Schussler 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment