Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Blonde Chicks Preferred: May 30, 2013

Liam Nordstrom:  May 30, 2013


What the hell? I was leaving the studio with Kelsey when two police detectives stopped me. They introduced themselves and showed me their credentials. They could have been actors for all I knew. My first thought was that the guys went all out with these costumes. The badges looked pretty legitimate. The crew and actors played practical jokes on each other all the time and this was probably just payback for last week’s prank.

“Could you come down to the station with us? We have some questions about Lane Pierce.”

“Who?” I asked. I had no idea who this person was, but I was willing to play along.

Kelsey squeezed past me, intentionally flipping her strawberry blonde ponytail in my face as she maneuvered by. She even smelled like strawberries and I was hungry. “I’ll meet you back at the house,” she said with a smirk and I knew the look came from the key burning a hole in her pocket. I had given it to her just that morning. She and I were getting more serious and it was a huge step for me to give her a key to the house. It implied exclusivity and complete access to me. Up until now, I had never taken that step with anyone.

The female detective’s sneer wiped the smile from my face. “Am I supposed to know who that is?” I asked. The unisex name didn’t even indicate if it was a man or a woman. Maybe this wasn’t a joke.

“We would like you to come down to the station so we can discuss this in private,” stated the male detective.

“Do I need my lawyer?”

“There are no charges it this time. We just have some questions for you,” he added.

I’d done enough television drama to know that was code for you better get your lawyer’s ass on the phone. I followed them out to their car conscious of every word that came out of my mouth.

“We’ll drop you back at your vehicle when we’re done, Mr. Nordstrom,” said the female detective as we settled in the nondescript car. I set my motorcycle helmet on the chair next to me and buckled the seatbelt.

From the backseat, I called my father and explained the situation the best I could for him. I had no idea why I was being questioned, but I knew enough to cooperate and to use my lawyer father when I needed him.

By the time my father showed up and the questioning started, I was sure that I was going to prison. I still had no idea what I had done but the police detectives mannerisms indicated they were convinced of my guilt. Besides, I had a lawyer—I must have done whatever I’m being questioned about. They almost had me persuaded until they showed me a picture of the girl, I had supposedly forced myself on. “You’ve got to be joking,” I said. “She looks like she’s thirteen and she’s not even blonde.”

“I can assure you, Mr. Nordstrom, we’re not joking. She is sixteen and a minor. That makes it rape whether it was consensual or not.”

“I need some time to confer with my client,” said my father.

“I’ve never seen that girl in my life,” I practically shouted. Though I play a character that would have no qualms forcing himself on a girl, in fact, my TV persona did just that last season, I am not that kind of guy and I have no interest in underage girls. My father looked at me questioningly as I shook my head in disgust. “This is such BS!”

“If charges are being filed against my client, you better have evidence to support such accusations or we’re leaving,” my father stated. “When did the alleged act take place? What makes you think this girl isn’t just making up the whole story?”

“We are just gathering information at this point. The assault took place on May 21st between 11:30 and 3am the following day. We need to know your client’s whereabouts. We would also like your client to submit to DNA testing. If you need a few minutes to consult with him, you may have it at this time,” stated the male detective and then he and the other detective rose, leaving the room.

“Did you sleep with this girl?” asked my lawyer in his calm voice he reserved for his real clients.

“No, Dad, I’ve never met her.” Even my own father had doubts.

“Maybe I should just do the DNA test. It would clear everything up.”

“They are implying that they have DNA evidence, but that might not be the case at all. It may just be a tactic to get you to confess. Giving in to the test will be the last resort. There are too many variables and you don’t want your DNA on file if we can help it. Where were you that night?”

I knew that I hadn’t slept with the brunette, but I wasn’t sure I could prove it. I felt a bead of sweat slide down the center of my back as I checked my phone’s calendar. The date was a week and a half ago. I thumbed through my schedule and when I got to the right page relief flooded my body. I definitely had that night covered. “On the 21st, Kelsey and I grabbed take out and hit the sheets by nine. I had a 4:00 call the next morning. We rode to the studio together. We were together the whole night.”

“Will this Kelsey collaborate your alibi?”

“She’s my girlfriend and it’s true. Why wouldn’t she?” It was weird to admit she was my girlfriend, but I guess that’s what she is. “I don’t understand how this sixteen year old can make false allegations and have the police take her seriously.”

“People can say anything they want about a public figure. Being famous actually makes it harder for you to file defamation charges against her. Judges usually assume the worst of public figures or want to make an example of them. And the police have to take the accusations seriously or they can be accused of giving preferential treatment. The girl just wants attention, her fifteen seconds of fame.”

“So I just have to accept this crap? It doesn’t seem fair.”

He placed a hand on my shoulder and, with a chuckle, said, “Life’s not fair, Son. Next time we’ll handle it differently with the police.”

“Next time?”

“You have a target on your back. The character you play is a pretty messed up guy and people want to believe you’re him. It will happen again. It just means you’re good enough to make your character believable. Congratulations, you’ve made it in Hollywood." He smiled and patted my shoulder. "The story will be out in the press for a couple of days, the girl will get her name in the news and then it will disappear. By the time the truth comes out the public will have moved on and no one will care that you didn’t do it. You’ve made it, Liam. Lies and innuendo fuel the business.”

It sucked donkey balls! But my dad was right. I should wear it as a badge of honor. I’m important enough to lie about. Free advertising for my brand, it doesn’t matter that it’s negative.

After sharing my alibi with the detectives and Kelsey collaborating it over the phone to them, my dad and I left the station. He dropped me at my bike, and I headed back to Malibu naively thinking the nightmare was over.
Copyright 2014 Susan Schussler

No comments:

Post a Comment